If you are already sore before you finish the exercise, what is the prognosis? How will you feel in say an hour? A day?
This morning I did my normal 50-60 minutes (50 today) cardio. I ran the half mile warm-up from the house to the gym, spent 15 minutes on the elliptical, and then jumped on the treadmill for a 3.5 mile run at a 7:50 pace. This time, though, before running home, I decided to try a new app I downloaded on my phone the other day. It is the Women’s Health workout app. It has a bunch of workouts to choose from and gives you instructions on each exercise and allows you to log in each one so you have a way to track progress. They have a series for abs, arms, butt, hips/thighs, legs, shoulders/back, and then some specialty metabolism boosters, fat burners, killer curves, etc.
On Monday I tried the arms. I was shaking long before it was over! I actually understand now why those guys in the gym insist on making the grunting noises. I always thought they were all show, but now I get it. I let a few escape myself. I did three sets of 5-10 reps for each of the following (10 for the first/5 for the rest)
- flat push-up
- pyramid push-up (hands in front of face with thumbs and forefingers together making a triangle)
- decline push-up (butt up in the air in a pike position)
- cobra push up (hips slightly up in the air and then lower chest first then stomach, hips, and legs until body is flat, then reverse out)
It pretty much targeted every muscle in my arms and I know this since every one of them has been screaming for two days since! Pain! But I liked it 🙂 I moved on to the leg series today.
- single-leg bench squat and curl (standing on a bench holding weights at your side. Lift right foot off the bench and squat down a few inches. Curl the dumbbells as you stand back up. Repeat for 3 sets 12 reps each and switch legs)
- rotational lunge and shoulder press (hold weights at your side and step back with the right foot. Lunge forward and lower weights to your left ankle. Return to standing bring the weight above your head. Repeat 3 sets of 12 reps and then switch legs)
- Plank with front raise (grab a pair of dumbells and drop to plank position with hand on weights. Raise your left arm straigh out in front of you at shoulder height. return to the ground and repeat with right arm. That’s one rep. Complete 3 sets of 12 reps.)
- Swiss ball leg raise and dumbbell fly (lie on your back holding a pair of dumbbells directly over your shoulders. Hold a stability ball between your legs and raise it toward the ceiling. Slowly lower the dumbbells out to the side at the same time as you lower the ball to within a few inches from the floor. Raise both back up to the start. So 3 sets of 12 reps)
What I like about these workouts is that they are short which compliments my cardio sessions and they target all body parts even if you are focusing on the arms or legs. I’m not a big weight lifter but I do like some additional toning. I actually get a lot of toning from yoga, but these quick total body exercises are a good addition. Like I said before, they are clearly doing something since I am sore already and have been home for less than 2 hours.
A note to Jillian, I have not forsaken you. I still love the shred and will mix it up with these Women’s health workouts. There is plenty of room for both and my ADD requires variety.