I have been trying to get in more strength training the last month or so. My typical workouts had been an hour of cardio (some days all running and other days split between running, the elliptical, and the bike) 6 days a week and an hour to 90 minutes of hot yoga 5 or 6 days a week. Yoga does count for strength training but about a month ago, the hubby downloaded a Men’s Health app onto his Iphone because he wanted to start working out again and wanted some guidance. I downloaded the Women’s Heath version after I played around with his and decided I need to get in some weight work.
On Tuesdays and Thursdays I have added on about 15-20 minutes of strength training to the morning cardio routine and am loving it. It’s not a lot, but again I do get some from yoga. It’s perfect for me.
- Warm-up 1/2 mi run to the gym at an easy pace
- Run 3miles at a 8 min pace on the treadmill
- single leg bench squat and curl (3 sets of 12 each leg), tricep dips (3 sets of 12), ab work with the wheel (out and back 12 times for 3 sets)
- Run 3 miles at an 8 min pace
- warrior 3 tricep extension (3 sets of 12 reps each leg), medicine ball twisting lunge (12 lunges alternating legs and twists to each side; 3 sets), swiss ball leg raise and dumbell fly (3 sets of 12 reps)
- 1/2 mile cool down run home
After such a workout I was famished and protein pancakes were my craving. I eat these probably 5 morning a week and there are so many variations. I was talking to Kelly yesterday and we brainstormed about new things to add to the basic recipe.
1 scoop protein powder
2T cottage cheese
2 egg whites
1T flax seed meal
1T chia seeds
handfull of spinach
I tend to make either chocolate or vanilla and then top with bananas or berries and sugar free syrup. I have also made a gingerbread version and a carrot cake one. One of the results of yesterday’s brainstorming session was lemon poppyseed. That was the treat today. I just added a teaspoon or so of poppyseeds and about 1/4 t lemon extract to the vanilla batter and Voila!
And before I leave you, I have one sorta sad announcement. This morning there was a bug suicide…in my eye!
I’m not sure what was going on in this little guy’s life, but apparently he just couldn’t take it anymore. At the very end of my run back to the house, I caught him right in my eye and removing it proved to be quite difficult. Gross! Note to other suicidal bugs: Please choose another way out. My eye would really appreciate it. Thanks!